The USA Pro Cycling Challenge is coming back to Breckenridge and Colorado this month. This year’s race will kick off August 20th in Durango and finishes up in Denver on August 26th. It is a seven stage, 683 mile race that will touch many parts of the Rocky Mountains and will feature the top riders in the world including Tour de France competitors and Olympians. 2011 winner Levi Leipheimer will be back to defend his title.
Last year was the inaugural running of the Pro Cycling Challenge and it was wildly successful. 135 of the world’s top athletes raced across 518 miles through Colorado’s Rocky Mountains. Nearly 1 million spectators viewed this race from the roadsides along the route and the race was broadcast to 161 countries.
This year promises to be even better with a similar lineup of the world’s top riders and grueling Rocky Mountain course. Many of the cities from last year’s race will be back this year including Breckenridge, Colorado Springs, Crested Butte and new additions such as Montrose and Beaver Creek.
This year Breckenridge will host the Stage 5 start on Friday August 24th. The stage will start on Main Street at the Blue River Plaza at 10:50 a.m. and the riders will be off on their way over Hoosier Pass to Colorado Springs. There will be plenty of festivities and activities happening Thursday and Friday starting with the broadcast of Stage 4 on a big screen at the Riverwalk Center Lawn.
Later Thursday evening at 6 p.m. in the Blue River Plaza, grab your cruiser bike and join in the Breckenridge Cruisers ride to celebrate the Pro Cycling tour. After the cruiser ride swing into the Riverwalk center for the Telluride Mountain Film on Tour Presented by Summit Huts. Doors open at 7 p.m.
Friday promises a day full of events all celebrating the Stage 5 start.
- 9:30 a.m. Start Village activities and autograph opportunities
- 9:50 a.m. Rider ceremony
- 10:50 a.m. Race start with 2 neutral laps through downtown Breckenridge
- 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Chalk Art with judging at 3pm, awards at 4pm taking place on the corner Washington Street and Main Street
- after race start, on start line: Citizen Street Sprints
- after race start, Ripstoke trials and mountain bike stunt show in the Blue River Plaza
- 11-4 p.m. Watch the rest of stage 5 on the outdoor big screen in the Blue River Plaza
- 4:30 p.m. FREE Maceo Parker concert at the Riverwalk Center
For more information on the Pro Cycling Tour visit http://usaprocyclingchallenge.com
For the best deals on Breckenridge Lodging visit www.breckenridgediscountlodging.com